POSITION TITLE: Street Nurse
Outreach Street Health, Ally Health Clinic, Ally Centre Cape Breton
Outreach Street Health
Ally Health Clinic, Ally Center Cape Breton
Outreach Street Nurse 0.8 FTE / 28 hours per week
One year pilot position (with possibility of continuation) working out of Ally Health clinic, Sydney.
Service delivery area – Communities within the CBRM
Pay scale: $44.00/hour with health/ pension benefits.
June 23, 2020
July 17, 2020
Ally Center: The Ally Centre of Cape Breton is a harm-reduction, community based organization dedicated to providing prevention, support and education services to people living with or at risk of blood borne pathogens. The work done at ACCB includes blood borne pathogens/STI information and support, needle exchange, overdose prevention, anonymous testing, food bank and primary health care. In addition to these initiatives, a wide range of programs, projects, services and partnerships are at work. ACCB is involved in many mutually beneficial partnerships with government agencies and the community who share a common goal in supporting and providing services for at-risk populations.
The People We Serve:The population the Ally Center serves are often referred to as marginalized, excluded or vulnerable. They are typically those people who have faced prolonged difficulties with all or some of the following: poverty, homelessness, mental illness, substance use disorder, social isolation, unemployment, conflicts with the law.
Details: More details in files above
The Ally Center of Cape Breton will be developing and piloting an outreach street health service for communities within the CBRM. We are looking for an experienced RN with the skills to work independently and who has a passion for working with our most vulnerable citizens many of whom are at risk of homelessness. With mentorship from the Mobile Outreach Street Health service administered through the North End Health Clinic in HRM, the Ally Center will create a unique street health service for the CBRM.
Reporting to the Health Services Coordinator and the Executive Director of the Ally Centre, the Street Nurse is a member of the Ally Health team. The practice is community outreach with some clinic based practice. Practice, collaboration and coordination will happen in the context and location of people lives who are living homeless or in insecure places and or street involved.
Using a social determinants and harm reduction approach, the Outreach nurse will be responsible for
assessments and Interventions, nursing procedures, and community development work
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Nursing or registered and working towards, Masters prepared an asset.
- Community / public health nursing training a strong advantage.
- Mental Health, Addictions, Emergency, Family Practice backgrounds an asset.
Nature and amount of experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years of community health experience or equivalent setting, outreach experience an asset.
- Experience working in a collaborative practice setting desirable.
- Experience working with the homeless community desirable.
- Experience conducting nursing assessments on adults and children desirable.
- Experience working in a diverse and multicultural environment desirable.
- Experience in an independent practice.
- Registered Nurse in the Province of Nova Scotia
- CPR certification
- Cultural Safety
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certified
- Suicide prevention
- Adult Education/ Community Development
- Harm Reduction
- Trauma Informed
- Valid Drivers License and reliable vehicle
Judgement and initiative:
- Must be able to work with a degree of autonomy and demonstrate critical thinking and sound judgment.
- Must be highly motivated, proactive, and creative.
- Have a commitment to professional and team development and self-learning.